Sunday, January 10, 2016

Booklist Gives WHEN FALCONS FALL a Wonderful Starred Review!


The first review is in, and it's a fantastic starred review from Booklist:

Harris' talent for character development, polished prose, and accurate, Regency-era details makes this eleventh--or any of the previous 10--an easy starting point for newcomers to the Sebastian St. Cyr series. The first line is a fabulously evocative hook: "It was the fly that got to him." And idiomatic turns of phrase, like "cast up his accounts," transport readers into the period. In this puzzler, St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, visits Ayleswick-on-Teme at a friend's deathbed request but also to probe a personal matter concerning his ancestry--the source of his mysterious yellow eyes, acute vision, and ability to hear what no one else can. Of course, murder complicates matters: a young artist visiting the village is brutally slain, followed by another inexplicable killing. The presence of Sebastian's unconventional wife, Hero, and their jolly baby gives an additional twist to the already tangled plot. Seemingly unconnected people as disparate as Napoleon Bonaparte's brother, a so-called simpleminded whittler, and a woman who could be St. Cyr's twin, plus delightfully labyrinthine clues, muster into order under Harris' masterful command. Psychologically atmospheric like Imogen Robertson's Westerman and Crowther mysteries, with the skewering social wit of Anne Perry's Charlotte and Thomas Pitt novels, this is historical mystery at its best.--Jen Baker

21 comments:

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Huzzah! I have begun counting the days. My computer is out of order but that won't stop me from preordering Falcons today. Congrats, again.

Helena said...

Congratulations!!

Willa said...

Congrats - this certainly ramps up the anticipation! 😊

Ali said...

WooHoo!! Candy - How wonderful. I seriously can't to get my copy!! Congratulations on another winner!! Best, Ali

JustWingingIt said...

This is wonderful!! And it makes me all the more eager to get my hands on this to read it, savor it, myself. Congratulations!!

Veronica

Anonymous said...

What a great review, congratulations. I already have my copy of Falcons on preorder and am really looking forward to reading it! Well done Candy (mind you I expected nothing less, going on your track record!)
Cheers, Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Twin...oh my, you are going to surprise us. Sabena

cs harris said...

Thanks, everyone!

And Sabena, that "twin" part is a bit of an exaggeration. A bit...

hwueste said...

Congrats Candace. This wonderful review only hightens my anticipation of book #11. Not long now and my face will be smashed against my tablet as I devour Sebastian's new adventures. I keep hoping you will give us answers to Sebastian's mother's identity. And now, there is a woman who could pass as a twin sister? Candace, you are playing with us. I love it. Holly Wueste

hwueste said...

Congrats Candace. This wonderful review only hightens my anticipation of book #11. Not long now and my face will be smashed against my tablet as I devour Sebastian's new adventures. I keep hoping you will give us answers to Sebastian's mother's identity. And now, there is a woman who could pass as a twin sister? Candace, you are playing with us. I love it. Holly Wueste

RevMelinda said...

Congratulations on the super review! March can't come soon enough!

Lynne said...

Bravo, Candy! That review would get me into the book even if I'd never heard of the series. I can hardly wait!

Unknown said...

Wow!! I can't imagine what a better review looks like: it is comprehensive, substantive, with plenty of teasers. Congratulations. I am assuming that the authors she mentioned are great -- I must admit to not having read them...

Charles Gramlich said...

Excellent! That's very nice.

Suzanne said...

Congratulations! Only about 6 weeks to go. I am really looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

I pre-ordered it in hardback from Amazon. Really looking forward to holding it in my hands!

Susan/DC said...

Interesting that the review compares your series to Imogen Robertson's Westerman and Crowther books. Both of you are the only authors I buy in HB as soon as they come out; everyone else isn't purchased until the PB version appears. March 1 isn't that far away, even if I'm not very good at delayed gratification and want it now.

Anonymous said...

Congrats. Consider this amazing prediction only increases my book # 11. Not long now and my face would be smashed against my tablet as I swallowed the new adventures of Sebastian.
run 3 unblocked | sports heads |
free mahjong | Juegos De Terror |

sports heads football | play run 3 | mahjong free

cs harris said...

Thanks, everyone!

Susan, I must admit I haven't read them. Now I'm off to look them up!

Amit Yadav said...

good
valentine day wishes
valentines message for wife
valentines poems for boyfriend
valenines poems for girlfriend
valentines message for girlfriend

Susan/DC said...

Should you ever find time to read Robertson's mystery series, definitely read them in order. As with the Sebastian books, the mystery is self-contained in each book and each could be read as a stand-alone. However, the books are much richer when you read them in order and know the characters and the events that have shaped them from prior books. I would hope you like the series. The heroine is a bit like Hero -- a woman of her time who chafes at the restrictions placed on her as a woman. Each finds a way to exert agency that is believable for the period (slightly earlier than your books) so that the books are not wallpaper history.