Sunday, January 07, 2007

Twelfth Night

I said we wouldn’t begin celebrating Mardi Gras for several weeks, but that wasn’t strictly true. Carnival Season officially starts on Twelfth Night, January 6th. Normally that is simply the beginning of the deb balls and king cakes, with the parades not starting until a few weeks before Mardi Gras day (which I know is redundant). But this year, one of the krews, Zeus, decided to have a small parade down Metairie Road on Twelfth Night, to mark their 50th anniversary. Now, my mother only lives half a block away from Metairie Road, so of course we strolled down to the corner last night to catch the parade. It was a lovely evening—about 68 degrees. Everyone in the crowd was happy, the riders on the floats were having a good time, and as the last float lumbered off into the night, revelers dancing, jazz music blaring, I found myself exclaiming, “God, I love this city!” It’s why we’re all still here. There really is no place like New Orleans.

Oh, and that’s not me, it’s my daughter. She always catches more beads than I do.

2 comments:

Huyen said...

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little study on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch

games at googy
friv Games play
y8 boy games

Nguyen Linh said...

2player games for kids
play free friv Games
io jogos net
This article posted at this site is genuinely fastidious. Everything is very open with a really clear clarification of the issues. It was really informative. Your site is useful. Many thanks for sharing!